​​​​​We Help Horses

Let's talk about 

Our Current Project


The Harrison Ranch

Over 3300 Acres - More than 5 square miles  A major horse project where you will help solve the Big 3 problems horses face... Abandonment, Excess, and Retirement.  The horses need you to provide the endowment for this project.

Who are we?  

The Camp Rusk Foundation, Inc. is a 501c3 with a nationally distributed Board of Directors.


What do we do?

We help you help horses.   We started out with methods to provide low cost Retirement and found out we have solutions for almost all the horses that are Excess and Abandoned or discarded each year. In a recent year, APHIS/USDA reported 130,900 horses were shipped out of the USA for processing.  Rescues are overwhelmed helping perhaps 10%.  With you, we help the other 90%​​


​Why do we do this?
We must provide what horses cannot provide for themselves.  Think about that for a moment.  All horses, even wild horses on public lands, depend on humans for the space they live in and the care they receive.


Are there Side Benefits?  Yes!!

Land Preservation

Family Agriculture

Wildlife habitat

Non-chemical operations

Open Space

Air and Water cycles

IRS 501c3 Mission Statement:
The Camp Rusk Foundation, Inc's mission is the discovery, acquisition (research) and sharing (education) of knowledge for the welfare (prevention of cruelty) of horses. 


​Are you ready to help?

Great!  Click on the button below.  If not, Keep reading and we will tell you more.



What are the numbers?

Our supported national herd has gone from 5 million to about 9 million.  The quantity of horses abandoned or discarded to be processed for meat has dramatically increased as well. The number ranges from 100,000 to 200,000 per year.  That is one to two Million per decade. We take the position that we are better than this. How we as a nation treat our companion animals is a statement about our character.  After a life of service, our horses deserve the life of a horse​


Can all horses be cared for?

Cost of Care and Excess breeding appear to be the main reasons they are not.  Most people want to do the right thing and will if they can afford it.  


How can this be changed?

Removing Excess is simply knowing where the excess originates.  Cost of Care requires simple methods and available land.

The Camp Rusk Foundation, Inc. provides methods of our own and others and creates ways to make land available.


How do we make land available?

Land for horses though is disappearing.   As a population we are also getting "further from the land" with each generation.  At one time, most Americans made their living in Agriculture.  Now fewer than 2% do. While we used to be able to turn our horses out to family pasture, few of us have that opportunity. There continue to be family owned lands whose owners would love to assist.  Ours is to show them how.

How much land do we need for horses?

This varies and much of it can have multiple uses.
For general purposes the number can be pegged at four acres per horse.  Wow!  That would mean 36 Million acres for the national herd.  Much of this is provided in hay crops and similar needs. Actively used horses generate the funds needed to dedicate some land for their use. 

What about the empty land you see when flying?

That "empty land" is disappearing currently at about a million acres a year due to development. Most is too expensive or too cold. Much of it will not grow grass sufficient to support a horse. Our wild herds are often starving due to prolonged droughts. Simply put, we need to do two things at once.  Provide a way for family lands to be used for horses and for the methods to be affordable.


How can that be done?

We are already demonstrating how this can be done.

Over the past 15 years many of us have been keeping horses in this manner.  A family which wishes to preserve their property has offered us their ranch to demonstrate these methods.  The site will also serve as and education center to share our and other's methods.


We need you to help provide the endowment.  The endowment will serve as a safety net for the horses and fund the education and research needs.


Are you ready to help?

Click on the button below.  If not, Keep reading and we will tell you more.

​​There is more to talk about.

We have not yet discussed all the horses kept in stalls, lonely with no horse friends once their "working days" are over.  The side benefits of Open Space, Layered Agriculture, Forest Preservation, City Interface, and the list goes on.  


This project affects you in more ways than you realize.


Click below and lets continue the conversation.